On Fri,  8 Jun 2001 10:28, Romanator wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> > > Is this ~/.xinitrc in my home directory? My home directory
> > > doesn't have this file.
> > > Should I log in as root?
> >
> > How did you look at your home directory's contents? If you used a
> > graphical file manager (e.g. GMC, Nautilus, Konqueror), make sure
> > it is set to show hidden files (filenames beginning with a "." are
> > automatically hidden). If you used a terminal screen, make sure
> > you use the command "ls -a" instead of just a plain "ls". This
> > will show all files, so you should be able to see ~/.xinitrc.
>
> Sridhar,
>
> Long time-no-hear. I have checked it out and it appears unless I
> start up another GUI i.e. Enlightenment, this file will not appear.
> The interesting thing is that I had a .xinitswap file
of which I
> renamed .xinitbak and it disabled it.
>
> Any thoughts?

I have no idea what the .xinitswap file does - I have no such file on
my system. What I *did* notice, however, was that in my home directory
I have a file called .Xclients-default, which does the same job as
.xinitrc. This file should be set to be executable. Inside, it should
have only one active line (lines beginning with a # are merely
comments, so they don't count). This line should say "exec xxxxx"
(without quotes), where "xxxxx" is the environment to run. Since you
want KDE, the line should be "exec startkde". After making your
adjustments, you should be able to activate KDE by typing startx at a
terminal.

All this, of course, assumes that X is not loaded automatically at
startup and that you load X manually from a terminal. If X is
automatically loaded at startup (i.e. you get a graphical login
screen), then the solution to your problem is somewhat different. Just
give me a buzz if that's the case.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson