On Sunday 10 June 2001 20:27, you wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2001 18:31, you wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Everyone knows that certain versions of Windows, when told to "Shut
> > Down", actually choose to reboot instead.  And it seems that my Linux
> > installation has caught this horrible disease (actually it's had this
> > problem ever since I first installed it).
> >
> > Basically, if I select "Shutdown" from kdm or type in "halt" or
> > "poweroff" or "telinit 0", it gives lots of
> > shutting-down-whatever-service messages and then it says:
> >
> > System is halted.
> >
> > So far so good but then it says "stopping all md devices" and reboots.
> > Arggh!!!
> >
> > Does anyone know why this happens?
> >
> > Could it have something to do with this (in my /sbin directory):?
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         7548 Oct  3  2000 halt*
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Mar 30 16:03 poweroff -> halt*
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Mar 30 16:03 reboot -> halt*
> >
> > Thanks,
> > George Petri
>
> Nope, more likely it is your chipset.  Some KT133 and KT133A chipsets have
> a problem about halting/rebooting, especially on FIC AZ11 motherboards,
> limited to specific runs.  There may be others as well that we don't know
> about.  If you can describe your system, maybe we can come up with a
> workaround.  If it is 7.1, I have one already.  (You didn't mention your
> version).
>
> Civileme
> QA Team

Hi!

I have Mandrake 7.2 running on a Pentium II-350.  I have no idea what type of
motherboard it is except that it is from Gateway and is full of "integrated"
components such as an nVidia Riva 128 zx chipset and es1373 sound card.  It
supports the advanced power management thing as well.  I dual boot with
Windows 98 and disabled the "fast shutdown" option (but more recently win98
still doesn't shutdown at all!).

Thnaks,
George