This just proves the point I made earlier. If you look below you shall
notice I said:

<quote>
        You may see virus scanners available for GNU/Linux -- these are
        made to detect Windows viruses (which can't harm GNU/Linux at
        all). This can be useful if you have multiple OSs installed, or if
        you share a network with WIndos boxes.
</quote>

These programmes are no different. If you look at the Technical
Information introduction (http://www.amavis.org/amavis.html#intro),
you will see it says:

<quote>
        Most people will say: "A virus scanner? For UN*X? Why? Viruses do not
        work in a UNIX environment." On the first glance they are right (even
        if there are at least two viruses which run under Linux - well,
        actually they are Trojan Horses).

        On the second view though, imagine a heterogene network environment
        with both UN*X and DOS / Windows / Macintosh workstations. Now think
        of an UN*X server that serves Windows and/or Macintosh workstations
        via a POP3 service. Would it not be nice to ensure attachments coming
        via email are scanned for viruses before they reach a system they are
        able to infect? Well - that is what this package is for. It resides on
        the server that handles your incoming mails. When a mail arrives,
        instead of being delivered via procmail directly, is parsed through a
        script that extracts all attachments from the mail, unpacks (if
        needed) and scannes them using a professional virus scanner program.
</quote>

In other words, these scanners do run on GNU/Linux, but scan for
WIndows virii. This ensures that all e-mail is clean *before* it
retreived onto a system that is capable of being infected.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson