On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:24, Edward Barrow wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 19, 2001 11:31 PM, Jose [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
wrote:
> > Hotmail was designed to be used from any browser. You can still go
> > to www.hotmail.com to read, answer, write and save your emails.
> > While it is easier to use Outlook Express, you can use any
> > browser.
>
> It was also built and runs on Linux (MS are embarrassed by this and
> plan to migrate it to W2K, I don't know if they've done so yet)

Actually, it was designed to run on FreeBSD, before M$ bought it. M$
tried to switch it to their very own Win NT 4 (the latest at the
time), but found that it couldn't take the load and they would have to
quadruple the number of servers being used to make it run well. They
have been claiming that since summer (northern hemisphere) last year
it has been running on Win2000. Recently, however, they have admitted
that certain key parts are still running on FreeBSD. Some insiders
have said that MS run many servers on FreeBSD, since Windows just
can't handle their tasks. More information can be found in this Wall
Street Journal article:
http://public.wsj.com/news/hmc/sb992819157437237260.htm.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.