On Wednesday 20 June 2001 13:21, strab dogg wrote:
> Ok i on my linux the second day , and i know **** about it :(
> .
>
> OK here are the questions.
>
> 1.Who of you has ISDN ? I need that someone tells me how to
> config. it . I tried , but it didn't connect .
>
> 2. I downloaded a file ( it is ICQ for linux ) it packed into
> .tar . So what do i do whit this file ? In windows its just a
> zip what you unzip and then you get the install or the prog ,
> but in linux if i unpack it there are just some strage files .

Well for what we call a tarball, the usual procedure is to
follow the step-by-step in either the README or the INSTALL file
inside the tarball, but for general use, here it is

First unpack the thing into a regular folder

tar xzvf filename.tar.gz

or

tar xjvf filename.tar.bz2

Now if you are in GUI you can right-click on the tarball and
select "Archiver" which will do the unpacking graphical style.

now open up a terminal and cd to the folder that resulted--for
example, I untarred tik-someversion.tar.gz with

tar xzvf tik-someversion.tar.gz

and I got a folder called

tik

Then I went there

$ cd ~/tik
$ su
password: (rootpassword)

#

Once I had the root prompt in most tarballs, the next thing
would be to fo the following

# ./configure
# make
# make install

but with tik I got away from that.  Tik is written in tcl so I
just did the following

# exit
$ ./tik.tcl

(when you want to call a file in the current directory, you use
the sentinel ./ to tell the system to look there)

Now you are NOT out of the woods.

If you did the configure-make-make install stuff, you need to
know where the program installed.   Look in /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin for the program name.

Then fire up the Menu editor, either from the desktop Mandrake
Control Center Icon and selecting System and Menu or by using
the menu in your window manager selecting
Configuration->Other->Menudrake

Select a group to put it in and click on it then click Add, and
you will see a screen come up

Give it a name

Put in a description

the command would be the location, like

/usr/local/bin/icqclone455

or whatever the name of the startup program is.

In my case it was /home/tester/tik/tik.tcl

Now with all that said, you have Licq on your menu and they
don't make many better icq clones for linux.  Some others are
probably on your Supplementary software disk.

And to install any of them you just ask the Software manager to
do it for you.

Civileme