Well,

I think that is a good one...

I have a LM8 install in a machine with 2 ide drives (/dev/hda and
/dev/hdb) and a ide cd-rom writer (/dev/hdc).with dual boot for win98
and linux

They work like this now:

/dev/hda is a UDMA100 40G HD and master at IDE interface 1 (win98)

/dev/hdb is a UDMA33 4.2G HD and slave at IDE interface 1 (linux)

/dev/hdc is the cd-rom and master at IDE interface 2

Why I want to change this, if all works fine ? Well, since /dev/hda is a
UDMA 100 HD and /dev/hdb is a UDMA 33 HD the interface IDE1 works only
at UDMA 33 performance... so to squeeze a little more performance from
my system I want to do this:

/dev/hda is a UDMA100 40G HD and master at IDE interface 1 (win98)

/dev/hdc is a UDMA33 4.2G HD and master at IDE interface 2 (linux)

/dev/hdd is the cd-rom and slave at IDE interface 2

I've tried to change the cables but I had no succes... linux wouldn't
boot, failing with that message:

========== begin error message =========================

VFS Can not open root device "341" or 03:41
Please append a correct "root" boot option

============ end error message =========================

I tried then use a floppy drive for booting and passing the parameter
"linux= boot /dev/hdc" and I've had the same error message again.

So I returned the old configuration and I'm looking for some help now...

I think that the main consideration is: how the links that I use in X
and in the command line will work after this? A link is a reference to a
file or to a device and a file??? How I change references about
/dev/cdrom? CD players and burners and file system will fail to find
it... what files/configs I have to change? I'm using Reiser FS, by the way.

Thanks for any help...

orlando

========================== my lilo.conf ================================

boot=/dev/hda