On Tuesday 19 June 2001 12:20, strab dogg wrote:
> OK i installed linux : swap file was 256 and all the other / .
>
> Ok now if i turn on my comp a blach screen comes :
> linux windows floppy and stuff is written there and there is a
> boot: if i write there windows it says VIRUS ALERT i click
> continiue and then yes . I got into windows :) . if i write
> there linux i get into linux .
>
> Heres the problem ( 4 )
> *How can i make LILO graphical ? not the white text on black
> background like in dos .
> *Whats up whit the virus ? Ill scan in windows with my Norton
> antivirus 2001 later.

I have seen BIOS anti-virus programs, at least one of which
could NOT be turned off (I had to modify the code and flash the
BIOS to get riid of it) that identified LILO as a virus.  Use
linux, now that you have it, for your internet work, and just
save files to windows that you need to work with there.  If you
use a good virus scanner for the stuff going in to windows, like
the Kaspersky AntiVirus (you didn't think it was for LINUX
viruses, did you?), then you don't need Norton and shouldn't use
it cause it is also seeing LILO as a virus.

> *Is it normal that in windows i cant see my E: drive where
> linux is located ?

Darn right.  You can search google for explore2fs or

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Windows is a jealous operating system that assumes no other OS
shares disk with it.

> *How can i login as root :D ? (this is a stupid question)

If you installed HIGH security, you CAN'T!!!

Otherwise, at kdm you type in the word "root" in the login and
then use the root password in the second line of the dialog.
But even then, you shouldn't.  You can do everything root can
from your user desktop with the tools provided, except maybe
make a directory or write to a privileged file, or change
ownership of someone else's file not in your home directory.

For those things, a terminal and a su command or a
Menu->Applications->File Tools-> File Manager(Super User Mode)
are quite adequate.  And you therefore don't have to worry about
logging in as root and then doing something silly like IRCing as
root.

Civileme