That is weird.  That's the third problem with kmail I read about today
(actually two and one of my own that started last night).  But yours is the
weirdess, and the most cripling.  One guys folders/old messages became
corrupt, and then with mine now the search messages option will cause kmail
to crash.  Can't really uninstall and reinstall, huh?  Maybe we should
upgrade to the new beta (or is it still alpha)?
-s