All first generation Pentiums (including their MMX variants) are i586. Any
CPU built on Pentium Pro (or PPro) technology is an i686. This includes the
Pentium II, Celeron and Pentium III. The Pentium IV is a different
architecture again, and probably would be classified as an i786.

Since i686 processors have capabilities beyond those of their i586
predecessors, an i686-optimised binary may not run well on an i586, if at
all. It may be worth giving it a try, but dont expect too much, particularly
on a non-Intel chip.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson