On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:38, Franki wrote:
> Sure, it can be useful to anyone,, it has all the features of ext2, but
> alot more..
>
> 1. it is faster, albiet not hugely so.

ReiserFS is optimised for very small files, without compromising performance
for larger files. It is also more space-efficient for small files.

> 2. It handles crashes and resets much better, ususally with no probs at
> all. (I have never had any at all.)

Because of journalling, there is no need to fsck after a crash. ReiserFS
filesystems are very durable.

> 3. It doesn't defrag at all, at least not enough to effect anything...

ext2 does not require any defragmentation either, but it does require an fsck
if you don't unmount it properly (e.g. you press your reset button).

> If they are not enough to justify use, I don't know what is..

There are some known issues when using ReiserFS on configurations using RAID
and NFS. I don't know if these have been fully addressed as of yet. I have
read that the 2.4.3 kernel used in LM8 has a few little ReiserFS problems
such as these. For an ordinary desktop, however, things should be fine. I
have been running ReiserFS for several months now with no trouble.

For more info, take a look at http://www.namesys.com.

> as to where to get it...
>
> you aleady have it.. when you format your drives in mandrake setup. you can
> select reiserFS, instead of ext2..
>
> if you do that, it will do everying else for you...
>
> Thats all there is too it...
>
> (I think there is also ext3, which is a similiar filesystem to
> reiserfs...but I have not tried it yet.)

I'm not too knowledgeable on ext3, but AFAIK it is not yet as mature as
ReiserFS and it does not have any speed/space advantages for small files.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson