"Judith Miner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> I have also been unable to get the Gnome dialer to work. The Kppp dialer

> works fine and set up with no problems. The last time I tried it, the

> Gnome dialer did dial but immediately dropped the connection. This has

> happened every time I've tried it. On another computer I no longer use

> on which I had Linux installed briefly, the Gnome dialer wouldn't work

> at all, but Kppp dialer did.

<snip>
======================
For my purposes, that is one of the strengths of distros like Mandrake where
the libraries for both KDE and Gnome are installed by default.  Even if one
prefers Gnome, one can still use an app like kppp instead of the seemingly
more problematic gnome dialer.  I use neither of the "big two" destop environments
prefering Blackbox.  But I can use apps from both of the "major" desktop
environments because they are installed on my system.  With HD's as roomy
as they are today, there's not need to save space by avoiding one or the
other, IMHO.
Mike
--
"Many loads of beer were brought. What disorder, whoring, fighting, killing, and
dreadful idolatry took place there."