On Sunday 01 July 2001 08:18, you wrote:
> Dear All, I downloaded a statically linked program called
> rgXnetchess_static that the author told me should work on my LM8. His

well, that's pretty much all you need to do. Was it in a .tgz archive? Of
course if so you need to unpack it.

Static binaries as such don't work too well because they may make
assumptions about the sender's system that just aren't correct for
your system. For instance, it could use a different version of a particular
X library than what you have. The advantage is that all they really need i
is in that one file (like com/exe files in DOS) to run. But of course in
doing so, they take up more disk space and memory space to run.

Other than that, if you don't get 'Segmentation fault' or something when
you immediately run it, it should work OK :).

As to where to install them, you can keep them in your home directory or put
them in /usr/local/bin.