On Friday 13 July 2001 07:58, Anguo wrote:
> Hi Civileme,
>
> you wrote:
> > If people would take notes of a session they had with software manager,
> > we would be able to see where their intuition leads them (we are spoiled
> > by being close to its design and implementation, so what we do [wihout
> > thinking much about it] is already trained to a certain procedure) and we
> > would be able to make the software more truly intuitive in its user
> > interface.
>
> May I ask: are you asking for details of a session specificaly with
> software manager or for anything related to Mandrake Linux?
>
> I understand that you're a paid MandrakeSoft engineer and one of your job
> is to help out on this list (thank you very much for that!).
> You also seem to be testing a lot of different hardware.
> Are you also involved in developing the software manager?
>
> I am mostly just curious, but I also would like to know what kind of
> feedback you were asking for precisely.
>

> thanks
>
> Anguo

Software manager is an example of counter-intuitive software for many users.

I am a paid engineer for Quality Assurance at Mandrakesoft.  That means I
look at tools we develop and try to assure they are user-friendly.  When I
see a lot of bug reports on a tool that we cannot reproduce here, I judge the
software is counter-intuitive and that newbies to the software are doing
things we didn't defend against, and don't know how to do ourselves.

If we know the steps followed to reproduce a problem, we can get an ides how
to:

Advise the user in the running software

Block the error

Redo the interface

And no, I am not paid to be on the newbie list--I work at my job about 8-10
hours a day and relax by posting on the newbie list for another 4-6 hours.

Civileme