On Monday 09 July 2001 13:19, you wrote:
>    Well I reckoned that now that I recently built A Tbird 1.55 gig

(wow)

> been runnin Linux on for years. I bought an OEM HDD that only came with
> IBM's version of ez-bios on a floppy ($135 from MegaHaus  Dickinson,
> TX).

Prices sure have come down. I bought the identical drive from a place online
last October for $165 :(. But the Deskstar is quite a good drive.

Are you running it on your ata-100 controller? If so, any problems or
concerns? My deskstar is running ok on the ata-33 controller (or is it
ata-66) and I have another legacy 1.6 gig maxtor on it as well.

>   I knew ez-bios wouldn't be needed, or wanted, but I wasn't sure I
> wouldn't need DOS fdisk to setup the drive. In a few minutes I had the
> old drive out an the new one in place as hdb. Then I figured, what'a

(sniff) Mine didn't even come with an ez-bios. Come on, this is the year 2001
-- I thought we didn't need those legacy drivers anymore -- who's going to
put a 30 gig drive on their XT ? :) :)

And I don't even have a copy of DOS fdisk around (snifff) :)

Still, I was able to tar up the various directories and move them over to the
new drive after partitioning & formatting. I figured mke2fs would take a very
*long* time to format 5 gig partitions, but it didn't seem to take that long.