On Saturday 14 July 2001 13:44, you wrote:
> On Saturday 14 July 2001 12:32 pm, David E.Fox wrote:
> > > been runnin Linux on for years. I bought an OEM HDD that only came
> > > with IBM's version of ez-bios on a floppy ($135 from MegaHaus
> > > Dickinson, TX).

<snip> That same dir on the new
> 7200 rpm 2mb cache ata/33 drive loads in about 10 seconds. It's my firm
> opinion that it wouldn't load noticibly faster if I changed kernels and
> got the drive running at ata/100.  I would be risking data corruption
> tho, and draining other system resources. Things like AGP, USB, DDR,
> ata/66 or /100 have never impressed me with their pseudo tricks. I view
> them as marketing tools aimed at the average Windo$ user.  YMMV

Just to let everyone know I installed the Soyo K7-VTA Pro mobo and a 900 mhz
duron processor last night. It took me 20 minutes to detach all my cards,
unscrew the old mobo,  put the new board in, replace the cards and reconnect
all cables. I fired it up and did not have to do anything further, if it had
been windows I would be reinstalling drivers and rebooting for another hour.
I just love linux. The board has shown no problems with the SB  live sound
card and via southbridge, so far.  Can't optimise the HD's but with the
faster bus my hdparm -t shows 21mb/s + now instead of the 12.8 I got with the
old board.  Reports I read indicated that Soyo had the problem with the
viachipset resolved. Don't know, but will see what happens over the next few
days.  This is for those looking for a new MoBo  to use with AMD processors,
works for me, YMMV.  : )