But doesn't it still ask you for the passwd?  I haven't logged into
single user mode in a very long time.  I can't remember.  But I thought
it still asks you for the root passwd.  I could be wrong of course.
tdh

| Jaime,
|
| Try "linux single" at the boot prompt (if you are using lilo), not sure how
| grub handles it.  Then of course, it is as simple as typing in passwd root,
| the new passwd twice, and then init 3 (5 if you want to boot into Xwindows).
|
| Michael
|
| --
| Michael Viron
| Registered Linux User #81978
| Senior Systems & Administration Consultant
| Web Spinners, University of West Florida
|
| At 02:19 PM 07/09/2001 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| >Hello all.
| >
| >How to boot a single user ?
| >
| >forgot  root password
| >

| >Jaime Rafael Cabrera

       \./       | Tim Holmes     --  em@il: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      (0Y0)      |           "Real men us Vi!"
Uptime:
 9:57PM  up 2 days,  7:12, 3 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.03, 0.00