On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 00:57, civileme wrote:
> On Sunday 15 July 2001 03:54, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> > > Or the arts _server_
> > >
> > > Yes indeed.
> > >
> > > Civileme
> >
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > I'm sorry, Civileme, but I don't quite understand what you mean here ("Or
> > the arts _server_"). I don't have ARTS running at all when I'm using
> > GNOME (I checked with a "ps aux").
> >
> > When I run GNOME, it loads "esd -nobeeps -as 30" to initialise sound.
> > Even though this is loaded, sound doesn't work. If I go to the GNOME
> > Control Centre sound settings, it turns off sound. I have tried turning
> > it back on again both via the Control Centre and by directly editing the
> > file /home/user/.gnome/sound/system (changing "false" statements to
> > "true").
> >
> > As Tom Brinkman suggested, I have tried executing (as root) "chmod 666
> > /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/midi* /dev/sequencer*". Now when I
> > try to run esd manually (after killing other instances of it) I will get
> > the "startup beeps" (as they are called when I type "esd --help") that
> > indicate that it is working (I didn't get them before), but sound in
> > GNOME still doesn't work (e.g. XMMS complains when I try to play an MP3).
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> OK that could be gmix... go to another desktop and use the mixer settings
> from it, then return to GNOME and keep hands off the gmix.

I logged off GNOME and loaded IceWM. When I ran gmix it appeared with my
preset mixer settings. I changed things a bit (just in case) and then logged
off. GNOME was still soundless upon my return. I tried going to KDE and doing
the same as I did in IceWM -- no luck. I even tried changing the volume with
aumix from the console then logging into GNOME. Nothing.

> GNOME uses CORBA and that means sockets, so it is conceivable that the
> Bastille firewall is blocking something internally.  You would need to
> check the rules and make sure that things with origin at 127.0.0.1 are
> never blocked.  (the internet routers will not relay such an address, so
> you are still safe from exploits.)

I checked my firewall rules and I noticed that "lo" (local loopback) was
running as a trusted interface. There is nothing blocking either lo or
127.0.0.1 (or any of its aliases).

I then fully disabled my firewall (so that it wouldn't start at bootup) and
rebooted. GNOME was the same: no sound. Loading esd on different ports didn't
help either (I didn't think it would, but I'm getting desperate here :-) ).

By the looks of it, the problem is with a different component of Bastille --
not the firewall. I am quite certain that it is *something* (I just don't
know what) in Bastille, since this is the second time I've had this problem
(a MandrakeFreq install fixed it the first time).

In case you're wondering (I forgot to mention before), I am using Bastille
Linux 1.2.0 from http://www.bastille-linux.org on Mandrake 8.0 (upgraded to
Freq2).

Any more ideas to help an increasingly desperate user?

Cheers :-)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson