On Tuesday 17 July 2001 02:25, s wrote:
> Can anyone brief me on the set up  of a joystick?  I know... rtfm, but
> I've found the the fine manuals really don't apply much anymore
> especially with 8.0.  Alot of the kernel config, file edits, steps, and
> such aren't necessary anymore for many things to work:  such as X, sound
> cards or modems.  Advances in support are vastly surpassing the progress
> in the documentation project.
>
> I'm hoping that's the case with joysticks.  I've read howtos.  Patch and
> config kernel.  Install joystick tarballs, Ruby (?), jscal, jstest and
> all. Sounds like a lot of stuff that i don't fully comprehend and might
> today be unnecessary.
>
> (Anybody heard of Raider Pro?  I didn't buy it, my spouse came home with
> about a year ago for me, thinking I would use it.  Well now with the
> purchase of descent3, I'd like to.  I don't think I'll be able to use
> the game otherwise.)  I have no experience with joysticks even in
> windows.  I hooked it onto the back of my sound blaster card and
> harddrake doesn't know it's there, but kde systems control lists a sb
> controller for it and it's i/o.
>
> What's the procedure with 8.0, can anyone help?
>
> TIA,
> -s

If you're using a 2.4 kernel, add the following to /etc/modules.conf...
# Joystick
alias char-major-13             joydev ns558 <yourJoystickModule, e.g. analog>

[ joydev is the joystick module; ns558 is gameport (back of your blaster);
read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/joystick.txt ]

If you're using a 2.2 kernel, add the following to /etc/modules.conf...
# Joystick
alias char-major-15             <yourJoystickModule>

That should be it.  Good luck.
--
                         Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.
        Registered Linux User No. 219434 ( see http://counter.li.org/ ).