Hi folks,
I went and put my 2 cents worth on the Forum: How to move mandrake
along.......... hot subject, eh?

In catching up with the support pleas here, I've noticed a distinct
non-recognition by people of their own status!
Some of the self-proclaimed "Newbies" only talk in acronyms and I
can't even read their question, much less see an answer!  :-)

Please REAL Newbies, pass on to me the "gotchas" that baffled you
when you tried to start up - no matter how simple they seem when
looking back!  How did you fix it?

I hope to get a subsidiary Site up soon with a collaboration program
to make it easy.

So here I am back in Nursery Class:

1. I get pointed to all sorts of things, but the destructions might
just as well be in Yuvan ( obscure Central Asian Dialect) .

2. I want to use the GUI wherever possible - especially as I expect
to have to teach a lot of  TOTALLY NEW (Nursery-level) people how to
drive Mandrake, through another project I'm on.
------------------
Growth will not be possible in any meaningful way while Mandrake
tries to be all things to all people in one Distro "family".   Just
like on this list.  We go from Newbies,  "only" trying to install a
complex network to run an international Bank/Gambling centre - to me.
Just trying to get on the Net, write a letter, dictate a
memo/karioke(?) back up a dir, play with some html design.
We really do need a Nursery Distro:
VERY limited in options, designed only to include proven programs to:
1. Hit the Net
2. Write a Letter.
3. Play some music
4. Do the Home Accounts
5. Auto upgrade/official install program
THAT's ALL - AND  NO MENTION OF COMMAND LINE ANYTHINGS!
( A big thing is a current list of known compatible bits/drivers)
----------------

Thank heavens we have so many people on here from the experts who
talk in code to the fellow starters who willingly put in their
personal experiences.

THANK YOU!

By the time *I* get my Mandrake up and going, we should have a nice
little E-book ready for the next lot.  Just in time to become
irrelevant due to *all* the fixes in the next one......  :-}

MY OWN LIST OF KNOWN PROBLEMS
____________________________

1. Cannot get my ALS4000 Sound Card to go. ( M8 Even identified it)
No help on the Avance Site.

2. Cannot get my new "Linux Ready" Lexmark Z32 Printer to work
properly  with Star. Cannot get it to accept new drivers./new printer.

3. Cannot figure out how to operate CDRW Writer! ( M8 knows it's
there, but I'm only allowed one CD - I have 2, both identified)

4. Star Office - seems potentially great. Lousy basic fonts, won't
upgrade/use my Windows ones.  ( Did get complex info on converting
them - but would be way beyond a normal nursery level user)

5. Scanner. Canoscan N340P.  Even have a the info from the Net on a
fix. Have no idea what the destructions really mean.

6.  Frustrating Utilities. Like KDE "Search" weirdo. Docs not
"outsider" friendly.
7. Crashing of supplied programs like SCREEM - makes a real mess.

GOOD THINGS:
______________
1. Much faster Modemming.
2. No Dozing off (BSOD)
3. Dead simple install - EXCEPT default is for Server too......
4. Gnome put all the Windoze Drives on the Desktop - complete with
icons!
5. Terrific friendly support. No flaming by smartass
one-step-in-fronters.

--
Cheers,

John
http://counter.li.org GO HERE IF YOU SUPPORT LINUX!

Fablor is now Webhosting?? What on earth for??
Info here: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(it's only an Autoresponder)  :-)