> 3. Cannot figure out how to operate CDRW Writer! ( M8 knows it's
> there, but I'm only allowed one CD - I have 2, both identified)

Hi John,

Linux treats CD-writers as SCSI devices. Since most modern CD-RW's are IDE,
there's some work to be done. (MDK 8 did it all by itself for me though.)

This is a multi-stage rocket, but simple steps they are.
First identify the device that the CDRW is on. /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc etc.
hdb: slave on first IDE controller, hdc: master on second IDE.

Then there is "hdX=scsi-ide".

in Lilo (if you use that) you put that in the append line:
append="hdX=scsi-ide"
Run lilo -v and reboot.

The X stands for the proper letter of the drive.

In Grub (/boot/grub/menu.lst) you have to add that to each kernel-line.
Save the file and reboot.
If you have no other SCSI devices, you should now be able to do
ln -s /dev/hdX /dev/scd0
which links the cdrom to the first SCSI device. (Unix starts counting at 0.)

Now, when you type

cdrecord --scanbus

cdrecord should show your cd-rw as scsi-device.
And this means you can go and burn!
Good luck!
Paul