Hi all,

Been persuaded by the release of Kylix (Delphi for Linux) to take
a look at Linux, but I'm running into a problem with
multi-booting Mandrake 8.0 and Windows.

The system is a Dell PIII/600, 512 MB RAM, AMI BIOS, with a
single H-P CD-RW hanging off the motherboard controller, and all
of the drive space hanging off a Promise ATA/66 card. The first
two drives are my Windows 2000 Pro. setup, and I was intending to
use the third drive for Linux.

I go through the setup, everything installs just fine, and the
setup routines tells me that my system will be rebooted. It finds
the Promise controller and all the drives, but then all I get is
a blank screen except for the two characters 'LI' at the top left
of the screen - presumably this is part of the LILO prompt.

The system hangs at that point, and I have to boot off my Win 2K
Pro CD and overwrite the MBR in order to get Windows back again.

Anyone got any ideas what's going wrong? Make no assumptions, I'm
a total novice at Linux.

Thanks,

Brian.