I've had this same problem.  The only way I've found to cure it is to do a
low-level format and start all over.  This brings to my mind a question:

How efficient is the formatting of ext2?  Compared to a dos format, it takes
next to no time.  I've always been taught that haste makes waste, but I
understand that possibly it is just easier to format ext2.  Can anybody explain
to me why it takes so much less time to format ext2?

jim
Quoting Franki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on this:
>
> The system:
> 200 Ppro
> 64mb ram.
> S3Virge 2MB
> ReiserFS
>

> The Problem:
>
> System boots in vga=788 mode with Aurora perfectly.
>
> when starting x, (after using drakconf and trying progressively lower res
> and color) the system locks up tight..
>
> monitor starts flashing "no sync signal" and CTRL-ALT-DEL, or
> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE or anything else works either..
>
> altough the number lock and caps key lights are still working, so it
> doesn't
> look like a total lockup..
>

> can't switch to another terminal either..
>

> Latest problem, after another crash, this time haing tried 640x480 bit,,,
> the system is reporting this no boot (unsucessful boot I might add.
>
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> INIT: /etc/inittab[6]: id field too long (max 4 characters)
> INIT: /etc/inittab[7]: id missing action field
>
> a heap of other stuff like that,,, then :
>
> Enter runlevel:
>
> no mater what I select, it tells me "INIT: no more processes left on this
> runlevel"
>

> anyone know how to fix that? I have just reinstalled this thing 3 times,
> don't want to make it 4 if it can be avoided..
>

> The daft thing was, I had KDE running perfectly, had upgraded the kernel to
> 2.2.19 and did all my usual config stuff..
>
> Then I tried to load aurora, got that working, then X disappeared, and now
> it appears that I have had a data coruption as well.
>
> This is not going well at all...
>

> any help, suggestions, general cursing,, anything at all is most welcome..
>

> regards
>
> Frank

Ignorance is underrated