If you do re-install, you should have all your mail, etc. saved, as long as
you don't mess with your /home partition (you did make a separate /home,
didn't you?).  Note to all newbies--always make a separate /home partition,
so if you do have to re-install, you can save your settings, backups, etc.
there.  If you don't reformat /home, you will still have that stuff.

eryl