On Monday 30 July 2001 12:59 pm, Caruso Aldo wrote:
>   I've just installed Mandrake 8 in my PC which had Windows 98,
> partitioning previously my hard disk.  To my surprise I noticed that
> Mandrake automatically puts LILO in the Master Boot Record, and did
> not give me a chance to select boot from floppy method (as SuSE 7.1
> did).
>
>   As I have to check other Linux Distributions, I need to uninstall
> Mandrake, and left the things as they where before (Windows 98 alone,
> and booting as it normally boots, without LILO).
>
>   How can I accomplish that ?

   Not sure what you're saying Aldo, ie, "As I have to check other
 Linux Distributions".  If you don't want LILO installed in MBR, you
 should just boot your W98 start floppy and run 'fdisk /mbr' from a DOS
 prompt. That puts your mbr back like it was without uninstalling LM.
 Then you can still use your Mandrake 8 boot floppy (you did make one,
 right?) to boot Mandrake Linux.

    There's also ways to use LILO to boot multiple distros, tho I
 haven't. Search MandrakeForum. I believe there's a good article there
 in the archives by Civileme for doing this.  Also, LILO doesn't have to
 be installed in mbr, see 'man lilo'.
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay