-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of alan
Sent: Tuesday, 31 July 2001 1:43 AM
To: [newbie]
Subject: [newbie]: Which mail system for stand alone m/c

Hi All

My isp technocrat (the isp is linux/Unix driven) suggested that I am really
wasting time and effort using postfix/fetchmail/etc on my stand-alone, at
home m/c. I should connect directly. The overhead of
postfix/sendmail/fetchmail is unnecessary and slows the system down. What is
your opinion?

Hence I stopped trying to use fetchmail/postfix/procmail, etc. I tried
setting them up but mail retrieval was slow. I could not get fetchmail to
tell me how much mail I had on my isp's server, monitor download progress
(mail received, balance to come) nor easily tell whether the line had just
stalled (often happens, kppp indicates transmissions have stopped) or all
the
mail was downloaded - hence transmissions have stopped, not stalled. I am
obviously doing something very wrong but I have not found the solution.

In addition I could not tell when my mail was sent or if it was sent. Again
presume I am not setting up the system correctly.

Which mail system should I use, kmail direct dial or if it is a
postfix/fetchmail system is there a source of info that you can direct me
to,
a sample postfix main.cf file that can tell me how to set it up without
confusing my brain too much.

Thanks
Alan Smith