Jeferson Lopes Zacco wrote:

>     Where can I find info/documentation about the services LM installs? I
> mean, other than the man pages and reading the scripts. I'd like to find out
> more about how they are configured.
>
>     This is partly because the ALSA "service" isn't working properly in my
> sys. It failed to install the drivers at install time (though Mandrake
> installed a valid driver  for my onboard sound, it turned out to be
> incompatible with some apps)

What applications do you think will work with ALSA and not OSS/free?
ALSA provides OSS/free emulation, but at this moment only has
advantages, AFAIK, when you:

- have a soundcard only supported by ALSA
- have a 'advanced' soundcard only fully supported with the ALSA API
- have an application that _only_ works with ALSA
  (not many _now_, but ALSA is moving from the 0.5 series to 0.9 and
  as the API stabilizes, more applications will natively (only)
  support ALSA.
- for some reason, in your situation, ALSA sounds better, or has more
  functionality
- are looking to the future :)

> and even after I configured it by hand -through
> editing /etc/modules.conf - it wouldn't start at boottime. Not properly at
> least, it only loads OSS modules. I ended up putting a modprobe in rc.local
> to load the ALSA driver - is that the right place to? - but I'd like to know
> why exactly the Mandrake script isn't working and fix it if possible.
> Besides I want to learn about the other services as well.

Btw: I'm using ALSA 0.5.10b with Mandrake 8.0 ;-)

    -Frans