I tried Kwrite, and it's not bad.  I switched to nedit because it has:

-soft wrap (they call it continuous)
-macros

However, the search and replace in kwrite is nicer than that in nedit if
you want to accept changes one at a time -- nedit doesn't highlight the
"found" selection.  Also, kwrite looks a little slicker -- nedit uses
what I think they call the "Motif" style.

(Actually, I switch between nedit and kwrite (and jstar) depending on
exactly what I'm doing.)

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer