At 10:45 PM 07/31/2001 -0400, Jon Doe wrote:
>1. How do I get password protected site going? I know I need htaccess and
>htpasswd files? How do I make them and where do I put them?
You need three files...

These are .htaccess (in the directory you wish to protect, which also
protects all subdirectories off of that directory), htpasswd and htgroup
(which should be in /var/www).

They should look like:

.htaccess
deny from all
AuthName WhateverYouWant
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /var/www/htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /var/www/htgroup
require group groupname
require user username1, username2, etc
satisfy any

htgroup
groupname: username1, username2, etc

The htpasswd file is generated by /usr/bin/htpasswd.

To create it, do 'htpasswd -c htpasswd username1' (from /var/www, and
without the quotes).  This will create the file, and add "username1" to it.

>2. I would like people to be able to upload files to my computer. How do I
go
>about that?

This depends on whether you want an ftp upload, or a web upload.  If you
want an ftp upload, you can setup an anonymous ftp server with an incoming
directory.  For a web upload, you'll have to do a search somewhere like
freshmeat.net to see if any web upload software is available (either perl
or php).

Michael

--
Michael Viron