don't know if this has been answered yet..

if you want to upload files to your linux box...

get a browser, point it at a search engine, and try typing "upload, or
uploader"

or any other variations, there are alot of perl cgi scripts that do just
that, all the newer ones are based on CGI.pm

the older ones are probably cgi-lib.pl

horses for courses.

as for the .htaccess and ptpasswd files, put them in the highest directory
you want to protect, (say for example that you want to protect
/var/www/html/secured and every directory below it... then thats where you
put the files..

then you need to run the actual file that creates the file, here is an
exerpt of the user instructions from one of mine.
type:
htpasswd manager.access your_user_name
#where manager.access is the file that you want to contain the
username/passwords

The server should respond with...

 Adding user your_user_name
 New password: (you'll type your password)

 Re-type new password: (you'll type it again :-))

Thats all there is to it,, IF your apache is setup to use them. (you might
need to configure that.)

give it a shot

rgds

Frank