Just a shot in the dark, and not very specific to your problem, but do
you have enough free disk space? I have a Satellite Pro 465CDX with 2GB
hard drive and I solved a lot of problems by trimming down all the
unneccesary stuff during installation. I got a lot of weird conflicts
and errors trying to install packages, before I realized that it was a
space problem. I re-installed and everything is smooth now.

ShalomOut
  Chal
Registered Linux user # 217118