Your problem may have been from dinking around with RedHat software instead
of Mandrake software.  Personally, I don't trust installing RPMs on Mandrake
unless they're from Mandrake, with a few exceptions.  I don't know about
backing out from these abortive RPM installs, you may want to make a fresh
install of Mandrake.

When you get a working install back, try downloading the Linux Kernel source
in .tar.gz format from Linux.org or some other place and compiling it
yourself.  There's great HOWTOs on compiling the kernel just about everywhere
and it's not as hard as it seems, it's just takes a little extra time to
actually compile the kernel (my first compile was on a Pentium 90-- it took
about two hours!  Any Pentium II should take considerably less time)

The best part is once you get used to it you can really customize the kernel
to suit your needs, it's a great way to squeeze all the performance you can
out of your PC!