Honestly Mike... I think it started out that way.  You'd have to find a
serious Slacker to confirm that though.  I think most people still
install it via FTP, but basically the install is a FreeBSD install.  It
installs everything from source, I think it may use RPMs, but as I said,
I didn't have it installed long enough as I needed that hardware to
build a test machine.  (Work calls, and the play things get wiped out!
:0( OH well, huh?)

I think it's a good idea that people who consider themselves advanced
users, install and play with as many distros as possible.  This is more
feasable for me since I have the hardware to do so.  I have a machine
that I could wipe out once a week and install something new if I felt
the need to do so.  But it helps verse the user in how other distros
work.

That's one reason why I've tried so many *nix distros.  Heck, I've even
installed Linux in VMware!  Couldn't get it to load Xwindows, but dang
it I tried!

But I try and keep an unbiased look at things like this.  When
recommending to a client what OS they should use for an install, ya get
pretty good at that.

I like Mandrake for a workstation.  I spend all day making sure things
work and stay working on servers, or fixing things on other
workstations, I don't want to spend part of that day fixing my
workstation as well!  Now that I've installed Mandrake so many times, it
takes me 2 hours to install and configure my machine, and then I don't
have to do anything but check the logs. :0)

tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
  7:37am  up 6 days, 18:32,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00