[heh, forgot to send to the list]

Linus Drouhard wrote:

> I can't get midi files to play, except in sndconfig.  See other responses
> below.  I don't know what most of this means.  Thanks for your help.
>
> On Friday 10 August 2001  2:36, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> > "Adams, Jamie" wrote:
> > > It seems odd that you are only getting 'snippets' of sound. Is it
> > > possible that there is an IRQ or DMA conflict somewhere?
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Yes, I think that might well be the case. Btw, we're talking about
> > an old ISA SB16, and not the relatively new SB16 PCI I think...
>
> It's definitely an old ISA card.
> >
> > The Creative Labs names sometimes cause confusion :)
> >
> > The driver seems to be loaded ('snippets' of sound); check with
> > '/sbin/lsmod | grep sb' .
>
> Here's what I get
> sb                      7136   1
> sb_lib                 33120   0  [sb]
> uart401                 6224   0  [sb_lib]
> sound                  54256   1  [sb_lib uart401]
> soundcore               3504   5  [sb_lib sound]
> usb-ohci               14496   0  (unused)
> usbcore                47248   1  [usb-ohci]
> >
> > Use 'cat /proc/interrupts'
> Here's what I get
>            CPU0
>   0:     288781          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       4523          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:          0          XT-PIC  soundblaster
>   9:       5973          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, eth0
>  12:     216728          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  14:      20301          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:        498          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> and 'cat /proc/dma' to check for IRQ and
> > DMA problems.
>
> and here's what I get there.
>
>  1: SoundBlaster8
>  4: cascade
>  5: SoundBlaster16
> >
> > In your first mail you said: 'The midi track played fine' ,
> > referring to 'sndconfig'. Can you now play a midi file ?

sb                      7136   1
sb_lib                 33120   0  [sb]
uart401                 6224   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  54256   1  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               3504   5  [sb_lib sound]

means the drivers are loaded and
5:          0          XT-PIC  soundblaster
means it's using IRQ 5 and the 0 means the driver hasn't
received an interrupt yet.

What happens when you try 'play some_wave_file.wav' ?

To be complete, what (sound relevant) entries does
'cat /proc/ioports' show?

To be more complete <grin> what's in your
/etc/modules.conf file?

Last question, is your card ISA plug and play?

    -Frans

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com