A RPM that was created for i386 will work just fine for ix86.  I
wouldn't even worry about it.  It will do the trick and work just fine.
I highly doubt you'd even notice the difference.

But if you're hell bent on installing and configuring more up to date
software then you can go the tarball route.

As Paul mentioned in his post, you can go that route, but read the
README and INSTALL file that come with about 98% of tarballz.  They will
tell you if you can run a make dep, or a make clean, or if you should
even do that.  And in some cases there isn't even a configure that you
can use, you just need to make and make install.  So check out the docs
that come with the software.

But Paul is right, for the most part, those are the steps you'd use for
installing software from source.

./configure
make
make install

You can add make dep, or make depend after the make line, then add a
make clean after the make depend, or after the make.

Personally I like installing software from source, but that's just me.
RPMs are more uniform with where they put software, and that can be a
good thing, then again you can do a ./configure --installdir=/usr/bin
and it will do that, but after a while you forget to put that in there.
tdh

--
T. Holmes
-----------------

Uptime:
 12:03pm  up 11 days, 22:57,  7 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.01, 0.00
| Hello,
|
| I occaisionally download programs from the net for my box, however, some time the
|rpms are in rh6.0 or rh7.0 format.
| and that would mean they are optimised for the 386(?) cpu.
|
| which means my only alternative for a good install for the pentium class would be
|any tarball format.
| and tho i have had my linux box for a while, i m still a newbie and need help doing
|"make, install" whatever so i downloaded this command line tool called alien that wil
|supposedly do the job automatically.
|
| however, i want something like rpmdrake... with a gui... and admitedly i m a
|recovering windows user.
|
| i have been to www.kde.org and found kinstall (and yes its in .tar format) but am
|not sure about it as the reviews on it dont give it a 5 out of 5.
|
| SO I was wondering if there was anything better than KInstall?
|
| thanks

T. Holmes
UNIXTECHS.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]