Kevin Fonner wrote:

> Ahh, I think I am beginning to understand...  So what has happened to
> kdm.  When my computer boots up it is supposed to go to a graphical
> login screen.  It use to do that, however now it just comes to a grey
> screen.  Is their a paticular script I should be looking at?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

kdm (orginaly this is xdm) is graphical login, but it do other thing to, for
example it is allow to use a computer
like a graphical server. If you have 2 computers - let say Server  an Client.

on Server you type "kdm" (or xdm).
but on Client you type "X -query Server"
 now Client is graphical interface to Server, all programs is working on Server,
and Client is only
Monitor and Keyboard, even hard dish is not working.

But on the question. To start or not to start computer with graphical login screen
depends on the
runlevel of Linux (SystemV). if it is runlevel 3 - no graphical login screen, if 5
- computer start with gr.login screen.There is a command "telint" (telinit 3,
telinit 5) for changing runlevels. Read RedHat documentation (i don't have M-k
documentation), for changing run levels. I also have seen some choice in M-k
ControlPanel
to start or not to start graphically after reboot. Look around, it must be there.

>>When my computer boots up it is supposed to go to a graphical
>>login screen.  It use to do that, however now it just comes to a grey
>>screen.  Is their a paticular script I should be looking at?

they are many scripts! you probably mixed or deleted you configurations and
scripts.

Naka