On Tuesday 14 August 2001 11:04 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> << quoting skinky:  "I slow my connection right down to 19200 bps (it
> connects at the higher speeds but is much slower)" >>
>
> Could someone explain that to me?  How can I tell what my optimum
> connection speed is?

    Trial and error.  Usually the best gauge is the average transfer
rates you get when d/l'ing a large file(s), but even that is subject
to, among many other things, the ftp server you connect to and the
routes in between you and them. If you use Kppp you can click on
'Details' and watch the graph. Many d/l agents also display current and
average speed. Usually in bytes/sec, ie, 56K is 56,000 bits/sec.
'Course that can never be attained, best is about 53,000, and more
likely around 48,000 at best.

     Not all bits are used for data, some, sometimes many are used for
modem acknowledgements of whether the data was properly received or not
(acks - noacks, etc). The 'handshake' speed to see when you first
connect is only what speed the modems agreed to begin with under the
best condition, connecting directly to your ISP. After that it goes up
and down, often quite drastically which is normal.

    You can get a wealth of info on tuning your connection from a
Google search.  For most dialup users it'll probly center around
adjusting 'mtu' and 'mru'. These can be added as arguments in Kppp,
usually 576 or 296. Default is ~1500. My experience has always been
that there's little or nothin to gain and often tweaking from the
defaults is maybe steadier, but often slower.

     All the above is a gross oversimplification as you'll soon see
from a Google search.  I'll leave it to y'all to be creative in what
search terms you use ;>   Hint: I've already given you some, and you
can get a few more in Kppp's 'Details'
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com