On Wednesday 15 August 2001 10:08 am, Peter Watson wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2001 15:08, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > 'Many d/l agents also display current and
> > average speed. Usually in bytes/sec, ie, 56K is 56,000 bits/sec.
>
> I'm getting confused. I thought there were 8 bits in a byte.
>
> petew

    Yes, but there's also bits needed for checking.  So, for example on
my average 31,200 bits/sec handshake, I normally get about a 3,300
bytes/sec (3.3K/sec) transfer from various servers on the Net. So
there's roughly 8 data bits and 2 checking bits being used for every
byte transfered.  In slower transfers of bytes, there maybe the max
number of bits being sent back'an forth real fast, but fewer are
successful, resulting in much less actual 'good' bytes getting thru.

     More descriptive than accurate:  The modem your modem connects to
sends a whole bunch of bits to your modem along with some more bits
asking "OK, it sent X number of bits which should give you Y number of
bytes, did ya get 'em?  To which your end responds, " yep, seems OK,
send some more" (ack) ...or... "I got the bits, but the bytes are
wrong, you need to send 'em all over again. (no-ack)"
[to even further complicate this, there's different modem protocols
used, ie, algorithms for defining the modems 'conversation'  AFAIK,
z-modem is the most common currently used]

  Don't depend on my loose explanations tho.  Google is your friend ;)
If I really understood all this, I might be able to explain it better ;>
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com