i386 = intel 80386.
i486 = intel 80486.
i586 = anything built on intel Pentium technology, including Pentium MMX.
i686 = anything built on intel Pentium Pro technology, including Pentium
II/III and Celeron.

The Pentium 4 is an entirely new chip, and for the moment has no specific
compilers. Since x86 chips are backwards-compatible, you can use i686
packages.

AMD Athlons and Durons have their own architecture (and even their own
compilation options in gcc), but are also compatible with i686. The AMD K6
series is Pentium-class, and so is 1586 compatible.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com