On Friday 17 August 2001 04:47, you wrote:
> Thank you Civileme !
> I did get my machine to boot Linux...not from the HDD but after booting
> it from the Linux bootdisk and
> typing Linux at the prompt. This then loads the Linux OS from the hard
> disk. But, I am still unable to boot directly from the HDD , what might
> be reason ? Also why cant I get an option to boot either from my earlier
> OS (Win ME) or Linux.
> Any suggestions.
> Thank you and regards,
> Amit Datar

Hi Amit

Did you by any chance use a boot/partition manager (other than lilo/grub
during installation) before you installed linux?  If so, boot/partition
managers write their own EMBR which overrides Linux or Windows boot
sectors.

IF you have used a boot/partition manager you need to boot with its boot
floppy and manually remove the EMBR.

Sorry if this does not apply to you, its just that I had the same problem
and that was the fix.

Cheers
skinky

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com