Screw the installer... I got it all installed by typing 'rpm -Uvh
--oldpackage --replacepkgs *rpm' in the directory where I had put the GNOME
packages. There were some conflicts, but after moving them out of the
directory (and thus keeping the Mandrake versions) everything went well.

Ximian GNOME is more polished and much faster than the Mandrake 8.0 version.
I'm loving it :-)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson