Allan,

What you describe is possible, and perhaps can be done (carefully) with
low risk, but, not with no risk.

I think you need to evaluate how important your data is, including what
it would cost (in money, time, whatever) if you lost it, and seriously
consider obtaining some means of backup.

If it was me, Murphy would be sure to get me just out of spite. ;-)

Randy Kramer