Hello all
I'm spanking new to Linux but not to computers.  I am trying to install v7
from disk to an old machine.  It's a P133/32.

I've run the install several times now, each time getting a little better.
I tried the server install first, since that is ultimately what I want this
to be.  (Mail server and toy)  The latest time I simply ran the Recommended
install.  This time everything seemed ok and I rebooted to the GUI for the
first time.

Each time I've reinstalled, I start with the floppy disk and it inits the
CD.  When it gets to the second stage install, an error appears.  It
displays very fast then goes on anyway.  Something about initializing
sockets...

Here's my issue.  I don't know if my NIC is working or not.  Something's not
working.  I'm behind a NAT router with DHCP.  I need the machine to seek out
it's own IP.  On the NIC I get a green light but hub doesn't show a link or
any traffic.  Could that be a software issue?  The first NIC I tried was a
3Com 10/100 3c905b.  That NIC hung the system after the second stage install
every time.  The current NIC is a 3Com 10 3c509b Combo.  It seems ok, but I
still get the error mentioned above flashing quickly during a boot.

Sorry for the run-on story.  Too much info - I know.
Thanks for any help.  If you can point me to some docs or web pages or...
Glenn

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com