How are you "Killing the process?" Did you try deleting this file?

 /home/chal/.kde/share/apps/kppp/kppp.pid

the "chal" is my user name, so apply whatever yours is there.
I had a similar problem and this solved it.

ShalomOut
  Chal
Elder PCUSA
Registered Linux user # 217118

Patience is a minor form of despair, disguised as virtue.
                -- Ambrose Bierce, on qualifiers