On Tuesday 21 August 2001 21:13, civileme wrote:

> > You need 631 open, at least on localhost, for cups to work. >>
> >
> > How would I find out? I set up my firewall through Mandrake Control
> > Center, Firewall section. I answered "no" to all the questions because
> > my computer is not any kind of server and is not connected to any other
> > computer (aside from when I'm online).
> >  --Judy Miner
>
> urpmi nmapfe
>
> then when nmap is on your menu fire it up and do a straight scan of
> 127.0.0.1 for open ports.
>
> Civileme

I had this problem ie browser couldn't connect to localhost:631.

In my case the reason was that cups wasn't running. I dont  know how it got
stopped but when I restarted it fom Control Centre>System>Services eveything
was fine. You could check this in case it helps.
--

Peter Watson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com