Quoting Ant 'DS Boulton' Erickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> g'day,
>       likewise for shockwave, whenever i go to to a page with shock or java,
> it
> always asks me to get the plugins
> and lord knows i've gotten them and installed them many a time.
> with java i let moz do the installing, as it should, and it still
> doesn't work, and with shockwave, i've installed it
> manually several times.
>
> it's not a big problem, no fuss really, but if you have any ideas, or if
>
> anyone has had it done to them before,
> then i'd be pretty stoked if you'd give me a buzz and let me know how it
>
> went
> cheers all,
>               ant

Dear Antperson et al,

I actually responded to this exact question from somebody else sometime last
week because I'd just solved this very hangup.  It'd be nigh on impossible to
refer you to that post so I'll just copy-paste the meat of it for ya:

The command line solution can be found on page 98 of Running Linux (Welsh,
Dalheimer and Kaufman - O'Reilly & Associates) and on page 219 of Linux in a
Nutshell (Siever, Spainhour, Figgins and Hekman - O'Reilly).  If you don't
already have both books I STRONGLY recommend picking them up.  Either buy/order
them from a locally owned bookstore or, if you don't have the hefty $75 combined
price tag, take the five-finger discount at the nearest Borders (the place is
less secure than Windows ME) and buy a few magazines back at your hometown shop
to support local business.  Just please don't actually buy it from one of those
lame chains, either order it from your local business (it's probably not in
stock) or bring a bookbag to one of the gross box stores.  Linux is just one
small part of taking power away from corporate assholes that treat their
employees and customers like dirt, so try to keep the faith in every aspect of
your life possible.  Anyway, the command you're looking for is "ln".  It works
as follows: (the #'s are just to signify the root command prompt)

# ln [options] sourcename(s) [destination directory]

where "sourcename(s)" is the fully qualified name of the file(s) you want to
create links to (in your case libjavaplugin_oji.so) and "destination directory"
is the directory you want the links to appear in (in my case it as
/usr/local/mozilla0.9.3/mozilla/plugins, yours will be pretty similar - just
make sure it ends up in /plugins)

The option you'll be using will be -s (for symbolic).  So, assuming your mozilla
directory were located like mine is, the command would be:

# ln -s /usr/jre1.3.1/plugins/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/local/mozilla0.9.3/mozilla/plugins

Your command would only differ depending on where your mozilla folder is.
Anyway, after you install it you should use the simple command "ls -l
[destionation directory]" to see that your symbolic link arrived appropriately.
 The line for the java plugin should start with the letter "l" to show it is a
link.  If all seems fine and dandy then try going to someplace that uses java
and see if you get the error message.  If you do, try logging out and logging
back in.  If it still doesn't work than I told you something stupid and write me
back so I can correct it.  Feel free to drop me a line about any other stuff you
need.  I have a long way to go myself but I learn so much better when I'm
working with other people.

In Resistance,
Isaac

"[t]he intensification of social conflict within the advanced capitalist
countries. . . has to be directed as far as possible into innocuous channels --
innocuous, that is to say, from the standpoint of capitalist class rule. The
stirring up of antagonisms along racial lines is a convenient method of
directing attention away from class struggle,"
 - Paul Sweezy (www.anarchistfaq.org, www.infoshop.org/faq)

"It's not about seperation, it's about the population..."

 - Del tha Funky Homosapien, Deltron 3030
(http://www.hieroglyphics.com/features/deltron_3030/)

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com