On Friday 24 August 2001 03:43, Norman Teferle wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have got a Mandrake 8.0 PowerPack installation and would need some admin
> help please. How can I set up the screen resolution for a specific user.
> The PC Monitor where Mandrake is installed uses 1024x768 and all users so
> far use the same. Now one new user who accesses the Linux box from his PC
> using Exceed 6.1 only uses 800x600 on his PC. Now the screen picture he
> gets is all "squashed" somehow.
> What do I as an administrator do so that he can log on and have a nice
> 800x600 display resolution.

You may be shocked but I believe that unlike Windows, X has problems changing
screen resolution on the fly (without changing the virtual desktop size to
equal the new screen res) i.e. I think it's currently impossible (someone
correct me if I'm wrong).

What you could do (although this is kind of a hack), is provide a script for
an 800x600 X (with a file called /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-800x600):

X -query localhost -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-800x600 :1

And put it in a global location like /usr/local/bin.

Hmm, come to think of it: by writing "new user who accesses the Linux box
from his PC using Exceed 6.1 only uses 800x600 on his PC", do you mean that
this is his _own_ machine on the network that no one else uses?
If it is then, change _his local_ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to force 800x600.

On my system, to force X to use 800x600, here is a snipplet of my
XF86Config-4:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Screen0"
        Device       "RIVA128"