On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:22, Tim Holmes wrote:
> I think it's been basic knowledge for some time, that the Windows kernel
> was an "adapted" BSD kernel.  They've never really tried to prove they
> did or didn't.

No, the Windows kernel is not based on UNIX at all. The Windows NT core was a
fork from OS/2 2.x. Microsoft had been developing OS/2 for IBM, and when
their partnership ended IBM continued OS/2's development with the Warp series.

> Now I guess somebody could reverse engineer Windows, but would be
> illegal, and with the help of DMCA, they'd be shot, hung, and all that
> good stuff as we've seen demonstrated here lately with the Sklyarov
> case.  I don't know of any other way to prove that they are 100%.

If it could be proven that the reverse-engineers had never seen or used any
M$ code, then there is nothing illegal. This is why Samba and WINE aren't
illegal.

> But also keep in mind, that FreeBSD, itself, doesn't use GPL, it's under
> the BSD licensing.  And I could be wrong, as I've not done an whole lot
> of research on this, but just because you have OpenSource software
> incorporated in your software, you don't have to provide ALL the
> software to the public, only the OpenSource software needs to be "open."
> But again, I may have this all wrong, maybe somebody else could clear
> this one up.  (To lazy to do any real research on it now.  Sorry! lol)

The BSD license has few restrictions, the main one being that credit must be
given to the authors of the original code. However, the code itself may be
modified and used in any way. Derivative works can be closed-source.

> As far as sueing them?  You can sue anybody for anything, but the
> problem  here, is that Micro$HAFT has a small chunk of the Devil's arm
> in his Legal Department, and most of us have seen the figures of how
> much money is put into that department.  You may end, but it will cost
> you a Bill Gates sized fortune to do so!

William Gates II (Bill's father) is a partner in the most powerful law firm
in Seattle, so Bill has had legal connections since Microsoft's beginning. No
wonder why he often chooses litigation over innovation.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com