On Tuesday 28 August 2001 05:51, you wrote:
> skinky wrote:
> > It seems strange that even after CUPS is started the printer cannot
> > connect to the CUPS server until I supposedly "edit" the printer
> > config. Does anyone know why this happens?  Or why CUPS won't start on
> > boot like it did before I installed KDE2.2?  (It is selected to start
> > on boot in Mandrake Control Center)  Also, try to start CUPS in MCC
> > doesn't work I have to use the command in a shell (tho thats easy so
> > it makes no difference to me).
> >
> > TIA
> > skinky
>
> Do you have the network stuff turned on? I didn't, and had to reset CUPS
> each time I shutdown and restarted. CUPS uses the network server, AFAIK.
> Hope this helps! ;-)

Thanks Ron, I didn't realise that CUPS used the network server - set it to
start on boot (in MCC), rebooted and voila my printer connects to CUPS
automagically again!  I had turned the network thingy off thinking that
since I only have a single PC (i.e. no LAN) that it would be a security
risk when connected to the net.

Anyway, many thanks!

Cheers
skinky