I am sorry to repost this request, but I have still not managed to turn
on  forwarding in Mandrake SNF (original description follows). I do know
a little more.  I have managed to install a different firewalling distro
- smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org), so I do know that the problem is not
due to some HP proprietary hardware weirdness.

How would I turn on forwarding, manually, in SNF?

Thank you again.  John T