Well I have no idea why .*rc files are used.  But I know they're
basically "personal config" files.

/etc is basically full of config files and information files.  There are
some scripts in there to start services.  Things like /etc/modules.conf
are really just informational config files.   You can edit that
yourself, but for the most part, Linux is what makes changes to that.
But there are still things like /etc/sendmail.cf, or /etc/hosts,
/etc/bashrc.

If you go into /etc/init.d you will find the scripts that are used
to restart services.  Like /etc/init.d/network, sshd, http, postfix and
more.  You can do a ls in /etc/init.d to see everything in there.

.*rc files that are in $HOME, are used to over ride the default *rc
files.  If you check, there's already a /etc/bashrc, and more.  Those
are looked at as soon as you get a prompt, or as soon as you run an app.
Those are the defaults.  Now you can edit those, but if you have several
users on that one machine, they may like/want the changes you made to
the config file.  So you make changes to the $HOME/.bashrc instead of
/etc/bashrc.

The $HOME/.bashrc and files of that nature are copied into the home
directories when the user is created.  Those files are copied directly
from /etc/skel.  On FreeBSD, it will actually ask you if you would like
the skel files to be copied, and you can say yay, or nay.  In Linux, it
does it with out asking.

I'm not sure if the person that posted this message to start out with
will see this, but I hope this answers somebody's questions.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
  2:04pm  up 15 days, 19:49,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00